An invitation to the AKC National Obedience Invitational represents the pinnacle of success for any competition obedience team. To win this prestigious event is like climbing Mt. Everest without oxygen! To get here, your dog has to rank in the top ten percent of its breed by OTCH in points earned (calculated from July 1 – June 30). This year there were one hundred and seventeen dogs across forty-six breeds invited to the show. Over half of the final thirty-two teams were retrievers!
While congratulations are in order for all of the participants because the invitation alone is a huge honor, there was one standout team amongst all of these worthy competitors – owner/handler Kathleen Rasinowich-Platt and her five-year old Golden Retriever – NOC OTCH High Times Ris’n Above The Tide UDX7 OM9 RE (“Buoy”). Buoy was bred by Bridget Carlson. From the outset it is apparent that Kathleen and Buoy have a deep connection. As they go through each exercise, both Kathleen and Buoy have a joy and trust in their movement that comes from a relationship that is built over many hours of being together. While some may look at all the hours spent learning new exercises as hard work, these two competitors obviously had a lot of fun building up to this final round of the AKC National Obedience Invitational.
To get to the winner’s circle the competitors had to endure a rigorous Saturday performing a series of Open and Utility obedience exercises for the judges. The scores are added up at the end of the day and the field is cut down to the top scoring final thirty-two teams. The team of Kathleen and Buoy were top seeds by Saturday evening and held onto their lead throughout Sunday to become 2010’s AKC National Obedience Champion! A huge congratulations to Kathleen and Buoy!
Retrievers also wrapped up the runner-up positions which made the 2010 AKC National Obedience Invitational a clean sweep for retrievers! Nice work folks! You are truly awesome ambassadors to retriever lovers everywhere.
2010 AKC National Obedience Invitational Stats
- 2010 National Obedience Invitational Champion – owner/handler Kathleen Rasinowich-Platt and her Golden Retriever – NOC OTCH High Times Ris’n Above The Tide UDX7 OM9 RE were overall champions.
- 1st Runner Up – owner/handler Petra Ford and her Black Labrador NOC OTCH Count Tyler Show Me The Money UDX5 OM3
- 2nd Runner Up – owner/handler Helen Smith and her Golden Retriever OTCH Sunsplash No Free Time UDX10 OM7 RE OA OAJ NAP NJP
- 3rd Runner Up – owner/handler Sally Walker and her Golden Retriever OTCH Teal Oak Spins A Web UDX3 OM2 SH
- Top 32 Finalists – 17 Retrievers total : 14 Goldens, 2 Labradors, and 1 Flat Coat!